Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Nias

I went to Nias in 2000 with good mates Sam, Walt, Tobes and Antman. Looking back it was the way surf trips use to be, 4 days to get there, no internet, no forecasting, no mobile phone coverage.
We hung out for 2 weeks on the island, surfed everyday, ate fresh fish, watched each other have Bali belly, we even had a pack of European female back packers staying with us. Paridise!
Then the waves came, 6 to 4 on the 1st day. 6 to 8 the next, then 8 to 10 foot on the peak of the perfection. My god we saw the best waves of our lives, still to this day top 10 of my life. I saw my mates stand in waves so perfect it was almost not real.
Nias as wave seemed so perfect it just didn't seem dangerous. No body hit the bottom, no bark off, sure there were bad wipe outs, but it just didn't have that intense feeling of life threatening.
What I'm getting at is, look at the pic below.... FUCK. This photo was taken post earthquake in which the reef was raised almost 1 meter or 3 feet in a few violent seconds. Nias is now a wave that in my opinion is in the same calibre as Pipeline, Chopes or Gnarloo. You don't find waves with that much lip and force being thrown on nice waves.
From what I hear nothing's changed, it still takes days to there, and the waves are still perfect if not better..... and you might just find the backpackers there....maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...