Monday, January 9, 2012

Save Ball Bay


Ok, I have had an internal battle whether to post this because I grew up on an overpopulated point break and cringed anytime I saw it in a magazine, TV, and later the internet. However, I was fortunate enough to surf Ball Bay in 2011 (for 4 days in a row on my own) and if this little blog post can help raise some support for the local surfers to fight plans for a jetty that will destroy the break, I think its justified. In nutshell: the government of Norfolk wants to build a permanent concrete wharf for large ships right through the middle of this point break. To hear it from the horses mouth see the link below.

There are probably 10-20 local surfers plus grommets on the island (population approx 2000) so these guys are way outnumbered and need surfers from the mainland to join them in opposition of this development. The idea that a bigger jetty would lift their poor economy is ridiculous. The natural beauty of the island combined with some decent marketing would turn pick up the (eco) tourism much faster - but thats a rave for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...